Pages

Monday 7 May 2012

Literary tattoos

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo that illustrates my love for words, words, words. My awesome boss borrowed me a copy of the book Literary Tattoos: The Word Made Flesh* by Talmadge and Taylor. I'm in love! She also tipped me that there is a website devoted to "our kind". Check out www.contrariwise.org for some really stunning and inspiring bookish tattoos!

I am still undecided about what to get, and whether to get a quote or illustration - or both! I have far too many fave literary quotes! My mantra is "the words are purposes, the words are maps" ("Diving into the Wreck" by Adrienne Rich), but I'm not sure I want that tattooed on me. Khalil Gibran and the Bible are more spiritual options. And what about my Uni fave, J M Coetzee? Or my newfound love for Ivan Vladislavic' playful prose? My first fantasy love, The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb? So many books, so little time! I'm even considering rereading my fave books to find the perfect quote!

...to be continued... 

*the phrase brings to mind the repeated mantra "dreams made flesh" from the excellent The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. What a read! I wish I could be a "virgin reader" of that book again...

No comments: