Pages

Friday 5 December 2008

My Work

As a scholar and literature fanatic with ambitions, I want to share what I am most proud of from my 5 years of literature studies. My first published article, originally a home exam in Johan Schimanski's fantasy and sci-fi course, was an utter pleasure to write and work with. The reward was getting it published in the "Arctic Discourses"-issue of Nordlit, summer of 2008. The title is "The Fantastic Identity: De/constructing the Feminine Hero in Philip Pullman’s The Golden Compass", and it can be accessed here.

The second one is more obvious, namely my MA thesis on J. M. Coetzee's novels In the Heart of the Country and Waiting for the Barbarians. Coetzee is an amazing writer, and his works have opened up so many doors for me -both on a personal level, as well as in terms of critical, historical and literary perspectives. Even though I do not love all of his fiction, I trust that he will continue to surprise and cut new paths in the years to come. My thesis can be accessed here.

Soon I will be shipping off my latest product, an article on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's novel Half of a Yellow Sun, to its (hopefully) future home. The aim of my article is to make people aware of the quality of her work, and to emphasize the healing powers of literature. The novel is extremely powerful and really draws the reader into the action.

the words are purposes
the words are maps

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is jolly good news on the publication on your work. Might I commend to your sci-fi/fantasy/horror reading pleasure The Terror by Dan Simmons and Explorers of the New Century by Magnus Mills. The first is an epic of its genre, and the second is a sly little parable disguised as a tale of heroic -- if somewhat twisted -- exploration.

Signed,

Your American Cousin

ziarah said...

You've been challenged! Take a look at my blog

Sigrid said...

I was unaware of any American cousins... Do I know you?